logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawnkhall  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:45:52 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
On ONLY a couple devices I am no longer getting functional Commands through SC 5.5.10194.5861.

Background: I have been working on modifying the "Remote System Diagnostics" extension to provide me with more useful details, and have been having problems because commands just aren't being echoed anymore on a couple of the machines I was testing on. Weird, because it was continuing to work fine on others.

Now, even with "Remote System Diagnostics" disabled those same machines are still not seeing any results from executing commands. For example:
`echo test`
Should return:
`test`
It now returns an empty cell.

But it seems it's even worse than that, though, since even functional commands don't actually do anything anymore. For example:
`echo test > c:\downloads\sc.test`
Should create the file "c:\downloads\sc.test". It doesn't.

Testing on a different guest it responds correctly. Testing on this one it fails.

I've restarted ScreenConnect client, server, rebooted both client and server. No joy.

Any idea what could have caused the Commands functionality to completely break on multiple devices and how to fix it?
Scott  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:54:30 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 249 post(s)
what is your command timeout set to? have you shabang it to something else in a previous command?
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:58:37 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Looking at the timeline, the last successful command return on one machine was 30 days ago (prior to installing the current build of SC) but right inside the time period when I was able to play with Remote System Diagnostics extension.

Is it possible that the Remote System Diagnostics extension somehow damaged individual machine's ability to process commands at all?
shawnkhall  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:02:20 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

My timeout is set to two hours (7200000).

It has been shebanged, but by the Remote System Diagnostics extension. Here's the command that ran right around when it stopped responding.

#!ps
#maxlength=100000
#timeout=90000
echo "DIAGNOSTIC-RESPONSE/1"
echo "DiagnosticType: Software"
echo "ContentType: xml"
echo ""
$Host.UI.RawUI.BufferSize = New-Object Management.Automation.Host.Size (500, 25)
Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | Select Name, Vendor, Version | Sort Name | ConvertTo-Xml -As Stream

shawnkhall  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:09:53 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

I'm unable to uninstall ScreenConnect on this device either. Or update it. Or reinstall it. Following the manual instructions doesn't work (err 1603). Log doesn't include anything worthwhile.

Trying to manually purge it from the machine now by pruning the drive, service and registry.
shawnkhall  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:21:44 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Completely removed it (purged registry, "sc delete ...", "PF\ScreenConnect*" and "%programdata%\ScreenConnect*"), rebooted.

Reinstalled.

Now Commands are working again.
shawnkhall  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:43:59 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Same machine as before (haven't reinstalled on the other two yet) is now exhibiting the exact same problem. Any command results in an immediate empty response. The commands are NOT executed. This is after completely removing SC from the device, rebooting, re-installing with a new download from the server. It worked temporarily (for a few days) but now doesn't work anymore.

Any recommendations?
Scott  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:39:46 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Have you changed either of the following web.config settings: MaxCommandResultCharacterCount or RunCommandKillAfterMilliseconds ?

On the remote machine itself, what is the resource usage like for the client? If you compare it to any other client, is the usage relatively the same when you attempt to send a command?
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:04:10 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

On the server, over a year ago, I set them to this:
key="MaxCommandResultCharacterCount" value="5000000"
key="RunCommandKillAfterMilliseconds" value="7200000"

I've installed and reinstalled hundreds of access clients since then and there are only three devices exhibiting the current problem. It began AFTER initial installation, too, as they all worked initially after being installed. Even the one I reinstalled last week worked fine initially, but is failing again now.

The user.config for the affected devices is the same across the affected devices and working devices, too.

Get this, though...I just tested running commands against one of the affected devices and it's working again now. It wasn't working a couple days ago. I think the only change I made was to remove the folder for the "Remote System Diagnostics" extension (I renamed it when this first occurred and it still experienced problems). Initially after removing the folder it didn't help. Perhaps it required a restart of the service or a reboot? I don't understand how that extension would only negatively effect 1% of the devices I have, though.
shawnkhall  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 18, 2016 8:04:15 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Resource usage is relatively low. one of the affected systems is my primary desktop (quad core with 8gb), but is almost never above 50-60% usage. Ketarin, VirtualBox & Excel are the most resource-intensive things I use, and never more than one+excel at a time, so even at heavy load it's only chewing on 2 CPUs.
shawnkhall  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:03:45 PM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Usage is a mere 12% and it stopped working again. Restarted ScreenConnect Client and it didn't help. Restarted DWM and it didn't help. Tried several other apps and none of them had any effect...until I restarted Synergy (now Symless Synergy). http://synergy-project.org/

ScreenConnect commands worked again...briefly, then stopped working again. This isn't good. I need Synergy as much as I need ScreenConnect. Without it I would have to have 6+ keyboards and mice on my workstation. Synergy has an overall low resource consumption and operates on port 24000, so there should be no conflict. I have now had the opportunity to test the process several times: restarting or stopping Synergy makes ScreenConnect Commands functionality work again. But when Synergy restarts there's a delay and shortly afterwards ScreenConnect commands stop working again.

Is there anything I can do on the desktop or ScreenConnect side to make them behave better together?

I've been postponing the upgrade to Synergy 1.7.6 because nothing in their changelog indicates there might be compatibility or stability improvements for my requirements. I'll try upgrading today and hopefully that'll fix it.
Scott  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:16:47 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

I just sent an email to the address associated with your forum account with our next steps.
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 6:10:26 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Hi, @Scott!

I don't recall seeing an email message from you on this issue.

I have another "high priority" machine that's experiencing this problem (my wife's computer).

Do you have recommendations on what I might try to fix it?

I can remotely access and interact, but the commands feature stops working some time after a reboot. It's usually at least a week, and is likely related to one of the games she plays.

Are there any dependencies that might be stomped on by another application that could impact the Commands functionality?
Are there any diagnostic methods or logging capabilities to assign to a SINGLE computer that would allow me to investigate?

Thanks for your time!