logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hlkj112  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:18:54 AM(UTC)
hlkj112

United States

The "Blank Guest Monitor feature" doesn't work as intended. We have it set to display a custom text message, and that was assumed to be the only thing ever displayed regardless of what the techs are doing. Just found out that several things are still visible to the end user when monitor is blanked. The mouse cursor can be seen moving around at all times, and if the start menu is selected, then it shows up in front of the blank screen message, as well as the taskbar pops into view.

Our guests are a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10, server is ubuntu and running sc 6.3. As far as I know, this is the behavior for all guests. Kind of embarrassing as one of my users called me out on it when he happened to see things moving around.

Example of "blank" screen
UserPostedImage
SoCo_Systems  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 11:38:42 AM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Testing this with a Windows 10 x64 1703 "server" running 6.3.13446.6374, connecting to a Windows 10 x64 1709 guest, I can confirm the guest can see the mouse moving. The start menu and task bar are not visible to the guest. If a UAC prompt comes up, it is visible to the guest until clicked, and the blank monitor message is gone.

Testing on Window 7 x64, everything is the same way, but the start menu and task bar are both visible to the guest after the start menu is opened once.

Edited by user Monday, November 20, 2017 3:46:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 12:59:34 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 305 time(s) in 262 post(s)
Unfortunately this problem comes down to the .NET methods we use to capture the screen. On Windows 7 we use an older "BitBlt" method that has some flaws, namely not being able to differentiate the different layers on which applications can be drawn on a user's desktop. This means that some things are rendered at a layer above what we're able to determine (the taskbar/start bar and specific ribbon controls within some MS Office products come to mind).

On newer systems we can use other methods such as "DesktopDuplication" and/or we can access the Magnification API. These both have their specific limitations but do allow us to be more aware of the different layers that are drawn. The UAC issue @SoCo_Systems mentions is one of the limitations that happens in a "Secure Desktop" (there are other problems at the login screen).

So what this comes down to is a known limitation of the current screen capturing methods. We're always open to investigate the issue further although to my knowledge the problem can only be solved by creating our own capturing methods which is an incredibly time consuming and risky process, but definitely not out of the question.
ScreenConnect Team