logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steven  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:23:33 PM(UTC)
Steven

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The Query Session Recordings extension allows a ScreenConnect Administrator to get a list of only Extended Auditing Session Recordings with the ability to download them in a fashion similar to how the Audit page works. In addition to the standard "from" and "to" date range as seen on the Audit page, there is also the option to filter by Session Name or ID. This does support wildcard characters, which is * by default, but can be changed in the Extension's settings.

There are two ways to access the extension. First is on the Admin > Extensions tab by clicking "Options" for this extension, and then "Query Session Recordings". The other is by navigating to Admin > Audit and then clicking the "Extras" menu on 5.x, or your Username in the lower left corner of the left Navigation Panel on 6.0, and selecting "Query Session Recordings".

The modal window will have a field for Session Name / ID filtering and a from and to date range. If any field is blank, it will still work, just without said filter. No 'From' ? then it will pull back from the 'beginning of time' (well actually from Jan 1 2008, since SC didn't exist before 2008). No 'To' ? then it will search everything up to 'now'. No Session Name Filter, then it will return all entries that meet the other criteria.

Once you click "Run Query" you'll get a loading dialog as it queries your database. Once that is complete, you'll get another modal window that has the list of sessions with the Time, Session Name, and 'Detail's of the capture, including the download link, just like the Audit page.

I'm looking into allowing filtering by Custom Property values, or including them in the output, but this will inevitably slow the results, so I'm hesitant until I get some feedback on how this works in larger deployments.
ScreenConnect Team
softland  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 10:28:04 AM(UTC)
softland

Chile

Hi Steven,

I installed this extension on our premise server running ScreenConnect 5.6 because it looks very useful. Its entry comes up in the extension and extras menus as it should, and I can see the handlers in the page source, but when I select it from the menu the form is not displayed and there is no message or error shown. I tried it under Chrome and IE and got the same results.

Under Chrome I activated the developer tools and when clicking the menu thee was no page request or postback shown. I also use report manager along with the Spanish translation and several other extensions. The report manager launches from the Extras menu without issues, and under the development tools I can see that it posts back to the same page.. That postback does not happen for this extension on our system.

Asy suggestions for getting it working ?
(Could there be some kind of conflict with other extensions)

Dave
softland  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 1:57:29 PM(UTC)
softland

Chile

Steven,

I tinkered with it a bit and the problem seems to relate to retrieving the values from the audit form fields. I commented that part out and set some literals and it started working right away. Looking some more I think the names/IDs of the form fields were changed between 5.3 and 5.6 making the original references invalid.

While looking at the source code I realized I can leverage this to do something else we need. I had asked before about opening the audit form to non-administrators and giving it a different permission setting. Noodling with the source for this extension I managed to tie it to the ManageToolbox permission (which we allow only to our supervisors), and move the menu to the Host page.

Basically your extension will help us resolve a long standing issue and allow our supervisors to download recordings directly.

BTW: Is it possible to create new security permission settings ?

Dave

Edited by user Friday, October 21, 2016 1:59:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

softland  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 4:25:37 PM(UTC)
softland

Chile

Steven,

Well almost.. I got the list and the links working for non admin users, but the capturetranscoder fails. I see it runs from an http handler that calls it directly out of ScreenConnect.Web.dll.Rats, so close and poof failure.

Is there any way to open that to non-admins anywhere ?
(I looked through web.config and didn't see anything obvious)

Dave
softland  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:06:29 PM(UTC)
softland

Chile

Managed to do what I needed. Had to create a second extension as a handler to do the transcoding, and I replaced the date code with this so it would not depende on the audit tab form fields (since I needed to move this elsewhere).

var currentdate = new Date();
endDate = ('00' + currentdate.getUTCDate()).slice(-2) + '/' +
('00' + (currentdate.getUTCMonth() + 1)).slice(-2) + '/' +
currentdate.getUTCFullYear() + ' ' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCHours()).slice(-2) + ':' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCMinutes()).slice(-2) + ':' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCSeconds()).slice(-2);
currentdate.setDate(currentdate.getDate() - 2);
startDate = ('00' + currentdate.getUTCDate()).slice(-2) + '/' +
('00' + (currentdate.getUTCMonth() + 1)).slice(-2) + '/' +
currentdate.getUTCFullYear() + ' ' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCHours()).slice(-2) + ':' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCMinutes()).slice(-2) + ':' +
('00' + currentdate.getUTCSeconds()).slice(-2);
silversword  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 4:08:48 PM(UTC)
silversword

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Instead of burying access to the tool in the Extensions menu can you add it to the menu that appears when you click your logged in Username in the bottom left? (like Report Manager, "Edit App.config Settings" etc)

Edited by user Friday, February 24, 2017 4:10:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Steven  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 8:17:49 PM(UTC)
Steven

United States

It's available from that 'Extras' menu when you're on the on the Admin > Audit page already. I avoid it in there on other pages because it can get pretty crowded with a lot of extensions like I have. I added in where you can also access it from the extension's options menu. (I'm doing that for most of my extensions as I update them if they have a pop-up menu).
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Steven for this useful post.
silversword on 2/24/2017(UTC)
Steven  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 8:24:48 PM(UTC)
Steven

United States

@softland, sorry for not responding, I didn't seem to get any notifications that you had posted here (or maybe I just didn't see them??). Anyway, my current version can be used on other pages (made it so it can also be used from the options menu in the extensions page, for example). With regards to the transcoding issues you ran into, that's why I didn't really do anything where hosts can download their own sessions - at this time that requires admin privileges. It's probably possible to do the transcoding through a handler, and just really never got around to it (would need to make sure the host was either the one that was in the connection, or at least had view/join permissions or something like that for security sake). The transcoding would also need to run in memory only (can't save to a file, then download the file from the server, or example - that wouldn't get approved for distribution).

If your update takes these into consideration, I'd be happy to discuss over PM getting those in so others can take advantage, or even passing over the reigns on this extension to you, if you wanted to maintain (I've got a few I upkeep at this point ;-) ).
ScreenConnect Team