logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ccondo  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 5:17:32 PM(UTC)
ccondo

I was excited to find the product Remote Desktop Manager from Devoltions. It would roll up RDP, Screen Connect, SSH, IPMI, DRAC, ILO management etc all into one product with a cloud database, 2 factor integration etc.

I started to implement it and it tells me to add the extension into screen connect and after chatting with the developer - it turns out you guys removed the integration extension last week because they have their own tool.

This is complete crap. We ALREADY PURCHASE SCREEN CONNECT. It integrates with CW and labtech - we arent interested in the slightest about a different remote control product. What we are interested in is a central console for SERVER management. A product that can roll up all of the things above, store the RDP password, secure it with 2 factor and autologon to the server without revealing the password.

Their product is NOT A THREAT to screen connect.

PLEASE ADD THE INTEGRATION BACK.
Jeff  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 5:49:21 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 120 post(s)
This extension was removed, for the time being, because we did not know they were creating a competitive product and were not told even after launch. Our Terms and Conditions that we have for our marketplace were not created to account for competing products inside our own marketplace so those Terms will have to be reviewed and potentially updated before we can add back the extension.

We want to have a marketplace that provides integrations into all sorts of products, even companies with a potentially competing solution. But in doing so we need to make sure we have the proper agreements in place to prevent any activity that we deem inappropriate from this new perspective. And that we are applying the same rules to all extensions consistently.

I'm sure the next question will be how soon. I don't have an exact date but we are actively working on this internally and I wouldn't expect it to take long.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Jeff for this useful post.
ccondo on 12/19/2016(UTC)
ccondo  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 7:29:41 PM(UTC)
ccondo

Thank you for the response admin. One of the original reasons we went with CW was because it integrated in with so many products - we could choose what we anted to use etc. LabTech resells Shadow protect licenses, there is a Datto integration. Should we expect to see Datto support dropped. You have overlap all over the place

Connetwise does:
Dashboards - so does bright gauge, connectsmart, MSPCFO and others
Marketing - so does joom connect, sales force etc.

I could go through every category.

I don't want one monolithic application.

Their product with the integration isn't going to displace a single Screen Connect license.

I hope it is just a matter of getting the proper agreement in place - this SOLVES SO MANY PROBLEMS FOR US. (Not yelling - just wanted to add emphasis)

TechMan2  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:29:39 PM(UTC)
TechMan2

United States

Hello, Jeff. Same problem as CCONDO with Remote Desktop Manager. Can you please offer a timeframe/ETA on when this might be resolved?
rdonohue  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 2:33:49 AM(UTC)
rdonohue

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In the same boat here. Very disappointed to see this dropped. Just want to be able to use one console for the many different ways I have to connect to servers, switches, routers, remote machines, etc. If you're going to block this please offer a competing product. I would happily purchase.
shawnkhall  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:47:55 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The solution to those of you who want to use it anyway is to get it directly from the vendor. Upload it into your extensions directory and activate it. SC is designed so you can create your own extensions, so activating a third-party extension may not be as easy as using the integrated extension tool, but it should still be pretty painless.
dolewine  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 7:26:02 PM(UTC)
dolewine

United States

I'm trying to track down this extension to manually install, but I'm not having much luck

I first contacted Devolutions support to attempt to get the extension from them, but I was told that the extension was developed by ConnectWise and that I'd need to contact them to get it. ConnectWise support, however, is telling me that they don't have access to it and suggesting I reach out on the forum for support, which I'm doing now.

Has anyone been successful in getting this extension to manually install, and if so from who?
hmireault  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 8:37:05 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,

Here is a link to download the latest version of the ScreenConnect extension from the Devolutions website. http://cdn.devolutions.n...wnload/ScreenConnect.zip

You must unzip the content of ExtensionFiles to the following path:
<ScreenConnect installation folder>\App_Extensions\a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da

The folder called a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da will need to be created manually, it is the unique identifier of the extension and must always have that value.

Regards.
thanks 2 users thanked hmireault for this useful post.
M_Albert on 1/30/2017(UTC), dolewine on 1/30/2017(UTC)
cbrasga  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:37:34 AM(UTC)
cbrasga

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Please tell us how an integration with your product makes people switch to a competing solution? If anything it adds more value and sales to ScreenConnect.

I haven't heard of someone changing solutions because of an integration. It's more often they switch solutions when there is a LACK of integration.
MannyTC  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:29:08 PM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cbrasga Go to Quoted Post
Please tell us how an integration with your product makes people switch to a competing solution? If anything it adds more value and sales to ScreenConnect.

I haven't heard of someone changing solutions because of an integration. It's more often they switch solutions when there is a LACK of integration.

I can understand that they may not want to advertise an extension that might lead potential new CC customers to discover the new Devolutions remote control product that is directly competing with CC. https://wayk.devolutions.net.

cbrasga  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:44:23 PM(UTC)
cbrasga

United States

Originally Posted by: MannyTC Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cbrasga Go to Quoted Post

I can understand that they may not want to advertise an extension that might lead potential new CC customers to discover the new Devolutions remote control product that is directly competing with CC. https://wayk.devolutions.net.

Same could be said for having an integration to ScreenConnect, it could get people using Wayk or Remote Desktop Manager to purchase ScreenConnect (CONTROL).
dailen  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2017 10:13:09 PM(UTC)
dailen

United States

While these could be perceived as "competing" I really think it's like comparing apples and oranges. These are two very different feeling products that are going in two very different directions. Devolutions never ceases to amaze me with how much support they give other products they've made alternatives for usage, LastPass vs Password Vault for example. Wayk is really in it's infancy, really comparable to VNC than ScreenConnect.

Regardless though, integration is key to success nowadays. Slack is proof of this. They made integration easy with anyone and everyone and they've made every other "chat" app seem primitive and made a generous revenue stream.
nemosoft  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 9:53:14 AM(UTC)
nemosoft

Poland

is there any info when it could be working again?
hmireault  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:18:29 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Hello,

Unfortunately we did not get any further news on the matter. This means that for ScreenConnect cloud users we can't do anything.

If you are using the self-hosted version, you can manually install the extension with this procedure:

1. Download the latest version of the extension on our website. https://cdn.devolutions....wnload/ScreenConnect.zip
2. You must unzip the content of ExtensionFiles to the following path: <ScreenConnect installation folder>\App_Extensions\a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da

The folder called a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da will need to be created manually, it is the unique identifier of the extension and must always have that value.

Regards.

thanks 1 user thanked hmireault for this useful post.
cbrasga on 4/27/2017(UTC)
cbrasga  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:05:47 PM(UTC)
cbrasga

United States

Thanks to Devolutions for providing the manual workaround.

ConnectWise should take note on how successful companies integrate with many other systems, even competitors. Isolating yourself just hurts your product and its users.
nemosoft  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 4:03:41 AM(UTC)
nemosoft

Poland

Originally Posted by: hmireault Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Unfortunately we did not get any further news on the matter. This means that for ScreenConnect cloud users we can't do anything.

If you are using the self-hosted version, you can manually install the extension with this procedure:

1. Download the latest version of the extension on our website. https://cdn.devolutions....wnload/ScreenConnect.zip
2. You must unzip the content of ExtensionFiles to the following path: <ScreenConnect installation folder>\App_Extensions\a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da

Regards.

is doesn't work for me. it says that I have to have extension installed which is already installed, visible and enabled Confused
hmireault  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 12:05:31 PM(UTC)
hmireault

@nemosoft: What version of the self-hosted ScreenConnect server are you using? It's possible that with either a new version or an older version, the extension wouldn't work or be recognised, which we can take a look at.
nemosoft  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 2:44:04 PM(UTC)
nemosoft

Poland

@nemosoft: What version of the self-hosted ScreenConnect server are you using? It's possible that with either a new version or an older version, the extension wouldn't work or be recognised, which we can take a look at.

I'm using 6.2.12963.6312
haastility  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 3:17:36 PM(UTC)
haastility

If anything threads like these put way more focus on the competition than an add-on, you typically want the add-on AFTER you are a customer of ScreenConnect...
hmireault  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 11:53:43 AM(UTC)
hmireault

@nemosoft: Did you make sure in RDM to select in the ScreenConnect entry's "settings" tab to use the extension? Could you also make sure that on your ScreenConnect server instance, the extension is enabled:

ScreenConnect

If you still encounter other issues I encourage you to contact our support team to see if it's anything that can be fixed on our end.

Regards.
nemosoft  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 4:10:38 PM(UTC)
nemosoft

Poland

@nemosoft: Did you make sure in RDM to select in the ScreenConnect entry's "settings" tab to use the extension? Could you also make sure that on your ScreenConnect server instance, the extension is enabled:

ScreenConnect

If you still encounter other issues I encourage you to contact our support team to see if it's anything that can be fixed on our end.

Regards.

I have ver. 1.7 and is active. I will contact you after my vacation

Edit:

It's working now Laugh I had to switch version from "default" to "5 or higher" Blushing

Edited by user Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:14:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

hmireault  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:15:52 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Glad to hear it works. :)
C.gast  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 12:49:30 PM(UTC)
C.gast

Germany

Hallo,

after Update ScreenConnect to Version 6.3.13446.6374 the Remote Desktop Manager extension always get a "load Error".
I Installed it manually with your newest Version but it won´t work.

Since it is important that the RDM runs without problems we urgently need a solution.

Regards.

Scott  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 1:01:04 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Was thanked: 304 time(s) in 261 post(s)
If you hover over the 'Load Error' text, a bubble should appear with more information. What's in that bubble?
ScreenConnect Team
C.gast  
#25 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:22:04 PM(UTC)
C.gast

Germany

@Scott

c:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect\App_Extensions\a161d6cf-0141-4280-a97c-b84c23e0b3da\Service.ashx(86): error CS1502: Die beste Übereinstimmung für die überladene 'ScreenConnect.ISessionManager.GetSessionGroupSummaries(string[], System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string,string>)'-Methode hat einige ungültige Argumente.

Regards.
C.gast  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:21:29 PM(UTC)
C.gast

Germany

Does no one has an idea?

As I said it's important for my Company that the connection between ScreenConnect and Remote Desktop Manager works.

Regards.
C.Gast
Michael L  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:07:05 PM(UTC)
Michael L

Man
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi C.gast,

It looks like the compiler is throwing an error, CS1502. This is likely related to the extension's code, so you may want to contact hmireault about it through PM.

https://docs.microsoft.c...compiler-messages/cs1502

-Michael
ConnectWise Control (ScreenConnect) Support Team
hmireault  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:00:39 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Michael,

The issue occurs because a method that we are using has changed, but since documentation on extension development is limited, we have no clue what to modify to obtain the same behavior.
What we are using is the GetSessionGroupSummaries method from ISesssionManagerChannel. It used to have an override taking a SessionType parameter but now it's gone. The closest thing takes a string array but no matter what I try passing to it, I don't obtain the same result as before.
Is there any up-to-date documentation for extension development you could send my way?

We would like to solve this issue with your team's help since it would allow the fix to be deployed much quicker and make our mutual clients satisfied. Right now, we're working blindly and we can't be sure we'll fix the issue in any timely manner.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by user Monday, August 7, 2017 1:11:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#29 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:08:36 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

You should be able to change the method name from GetSessionGroupSummaries to GetRootSessionGroupSummaries. I do not believe the parameters have changed, just the method name.
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#30 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 3:05:56 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Thank you Scott, this worked great!

@C.Gast and others who had issues with the latest version of ConnectWise Control, you can download the extension update here https://cdn.devolutions....wnload/ScreenConnect.zip

Keep in mind that until a new RDM update comes out, there might be issues with older versions of ConnectWise Control / ScreenConnect. If your only server version is 6.3 though, updating the extension should fix the issue.

Regards.
C.gast  
#31 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 7:15:36 AM(UTC)
C.gast

Germany

Thanks guys.
Now it works and I hope after the next Update it works too.

Regards.
C.Gast

Edited by user Monday, August 14, 2017 7:16:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#32 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 12:20:35 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

@hmireault looking at this again there will likely have to be another change for 6.4, as we abstracted the various authentication modules a bit:

Code:

FormsAuthenticationModule.GetUserDisplayNameWithFallback(HttpContext.Current.User);

to:
Code:

var membershipProvider = Membership.Providers
.OfType<XmlMembershipProvider>()
.First();

var userDisplayName = membershipProvider.GetUser(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name, true).As<IDisplayNameUser>().UserDisplayName;

with that change in 6.4 the extension loads correctly, although I cannot test the functionality.
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#33 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 5:30:24 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Scott,

I think the change should work, they return the same result from what I can see, thank you.

There's an issue I encounter when I call the following though:
Code:

ServerCryptoManager.Instance.GetAccessTokenString(session.SessionID, ProcessType.Host, userDisplayName, permissionSets[session.Host == userDisplayName ? 0 : 1], default(DateTime))

I get an internal server error when this line is executed. Is there any way to debug this or do you have a solution?

Regards.
Scott  
#34 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 11:24:28 AM(UTC)
Scott

United States

I can't say I'm seeing the same behavior.

Are you getting that with 6.4 or 6.3?
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#35 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 11:43:11 AM(UTC)
hmireault

I only have this issue with version 6.4. The line was used in every version of the extension and it only started failing in this version of ScreenConnect.

Regards.

Edited by user Monday, August 28, 2017 11:43:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:35:43 AM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Just so I can best replicate it, what does your initial request into the web method look like? What does the payload contain?
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:30:44 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Scott,

I checked and when we call ServerCryptoManager.Instance.GetAccessTokenString, all the parameters are empty, which may be what creates the internal server error.
I investigated why that is and I believe the issue is when we do the following:
Code:

ISessionManagerChannel sessionManager = ServiceChannelPool<ISessionManagerChannel>.Instance.Borrow()
var sessions = sessionManager.GetSessions(groupName, variables, additionalFilter);

In this case we send the following values:
Code:

{  
   "groupName":"All Machines",
   "variables":{  
      "USERNAME":"Administrator",
      "USERLOGINNAME":"Administrator",
      "USERDISPLAYNAME":"",
      "USERROLES":"|Administrator|"
   },
   "additionalFilter":""
}

The result of the GetSessions call is empty, while it should show 3 sessions in this example.
Scott  
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:49:12 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Hmm, I'm not seeing the same thing. There are currently 16 sessions in my All Machines group and using the following method I am able to see them all:

Code:

public object GetAllAccessSessions()
	{
		Dictionary<string, string> variables = new Dictionary<string,string>
		{
			{"USERNAME","Administrator"},
      		{"USERLOGINNAME","Administrator"},
      		{"USERDISPLAYNAME",""},
      		{"USERROLES","|Administrator|"}
		};
		return SessionManagerPool.Demux.GetSessions("All Machines", variables ,"").Select(s => s.Name);
	}

So it seems like that method is working with the payload described. This is on the 6.4.14094 build. Are you sure there isn't a problem elsewhere? Are you testing this against an instance in our cloud where I could take a direct look?
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#39 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:16:53 PM(UTC)
hmireault

I must have made a mistake while testing but I switched from ISessionManagerChannel's GetSessions method to SessionManagerPool.Demux.GetSessions and now it works.

I still obtain an internal server error on the ServerCryptoManager.Instance.GetAccessTokenString call though. Here is an example of the parameters we send:

Code:
{  
   "sessionId":"cd2d349c-0db9-42ee-981d-d76aae6d1724",
   "processtype":1,
   "displayName":null,
   "permissions":36895,
   "date":"\/Date(-62135578800000)\/"
}

I'm testing against a local installation since the extension isn't in the extension browser, meaning we can't install it on the cloud version.
Scott  
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:45:43 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Try passing something other than null for the displayName. It looks like we're asserting that argument as non null, likely due to the SAML stuff we've been working on.
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#41 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:11:23 PM(UTC)
hmireault

That did it! Everything seems to work as it did in 6.3 now. Thank you for helping diagnose this Scott.
Scott  
#42 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:35:11 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

I've spoken with our legal and PM teams and it's just silly that the extension was pulled in the first place (in my opinion). When you get a second, please (re)submit the latest version to the Marketplace and I'll review it within a day or two.

It's likely someone from our PM team will be reaching out to you with more information within the next few days; but I don't see a reason why the extension shouldn't be available any longer.
ScreenConnect Team
hmireault  
#43 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:02:01 PM(UTC)
hmireault

Thank you Scott! I'll be waiting for the email.

I'll submit both V1.8 and V1.9 of the extension to the marketplace, since 1.9 will require an update of our application.

Edit: I get an "unauthorized" prompt when I try to publish the extension on my local instance. Is this an issue on my end?

Edited by user Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:15:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scott  
#44 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 11:29:19 AM(UTC)
Scott

United States

I'm sorry, we found a bug a day or two ago that's preventing extensions from being submitted, this completely slipped my mind.

I'll post here again when it's fixed; again, my mistake for asking you to submit when I should've remembered it's not currently possible!
ScreenConnect Team