logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MartinDWhite  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:54:44 PM(UTC)
MartinDWhite

United States

I am developing an application to do large scale password changes and maintenance across many computers for support techs. Part of that larger setup is an application (let's call it MPWT) to allow techs to retrieve the passwords for individual systems. These passwords are "too complicated" to type, so MPWT is using the windows API "SendKeys" (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.sendkeys.send(v=vs.110).aspx) to type the username and password to the currently application for the tech. The tech selects, in MPWT, the username and password to send, then switches focus to a ScreenConnect window with the login screen up. This works to send the keystrokes to notepad when the tech's machine is Windows 7 or Windows 10. MPWT is also able to send the keystrokes to a notepad.exe running on the remote computer once connected to an remote computer with screenconnect from either windows 7 or windows 10. MPWT works to send keystrokes to the login screen when the tech's computer is Winodws 7 with screen connect. MPWT does NOT work to send keystrokes to the login screen in when the tech's computer is Winodws 10 with screen connect. The OS on the remote machine does not seem to make a difference.

What can be done to get the ScreenConnect login screen to accept keystrokes from MPWT when the tech's computer is running Windows 10?

Copying the username/password to the clipboard and then using "Send Clipboad Keystrokes" works on any local/remote OS combination I have tried, and will be used as a work around until this issue can be fixed.

I asked screen control tech support and their suggestion was to post here and ask.
Ben B  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:33:04 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MartinDWhite Go to Quoted Post
I am developing an application to do large scale password changes and maintenance across many computers for support techs. Part of that larger setup is an application (let's call it MPWT) to allow techs to retrieve the passwords for individual systems. These passwords are "too complicated" to type, so MPWT is using the windows API "SendKeys" (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.sendkeys.send(v=vs.110).aspx) to type the username and password to the currently application for the tech. The tech selects, in MPWT, the username and password to send, then switches focus to a ScreenConnect window with the login screen up. This works to send the keystrokes to notepad when the tech's machine is Windows 7 or Windows 10. MPWT is also able to send the keystrokes to a notepad.exe running on the remote computer once connected to an remote computer with screenconnect from either windows 7 or windows 10. MPWT works to send keystrokes to the login screen when the tech's computer is Winodws 7 with screen connect. MPWT does NOT work to send keystrokes to the login screen in when the tech's computer is Winodws 10 with screen connect. The OS on the remote machine does not seem to make a difference.

What can be done to get the ScreenConnect login screen to accept keystrokes from MPWT when the tech's computer is running Windows 10?

Copying the username/password to the clipboard and then using "Send Clipboad Keystrokes" works on any local/remote OS combination I have tried, and will be used as a work around until this issue can be fixed.

I asked screen control tech support and their suggestion was to post here and ask.

Good morning,

Based on the information provided, it's difficult to say why the text sent by your application isn't being interpreted the way you expect by the Control host client on Windows 10.

On what version of Control are you testing this? The Control client doesn't use the SendKeys.Send API to send keystrokes to applications on the guest machine, and based on the MSDN article, it looks like using that API has a number of caveats. Furthermore, which native Windows method are you using to force focus the Control host client prior to sending keys?

I will PM you a couple followup questions.
ScreenConnect Team