logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Will H  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:41:41 PM(UTC)
Will H

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are a few posts here about using the command pane to do interesting things, but I didn't see anything that covered this use scenario:

If you have a bunch of Windows access agents and you'd like to silently pull a file down to and then install it, you can use the command pane with a combination of commands to get this done. If you use the checkbox to multi-select a bunch of agents, you can run this on many/all agents simultaneously.

This example downloads a file from Dropbox, puts it in C:\temp, and then runs a silent MSIEXEC install with logging to the C:\temp directory. The pathnames and URLs would be changed for whatever your purposes are.

If your remote endpoint has POWERSHELL 3, populate the command pane like this:

Quote:
#!ps
#maxlength=50000
#timeout=300000
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://www.dropbox.com/link/ClientSetup.msi?dl=1 -OutFile C:\temp\ClientSetup.msi
#!cmd
msiexec /i C:\temp\ClientSetup.msi /qn /l*v C:\temp\installfail.log

If your remote endpoint has POWERSHELL 2, populate the command pane like this:

Quote:
#!ps
#maxlength=50000
#timeout=300000
(new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.dropbox.com/link/ClientSetup.msi?dl=1','C:\temp\ClientSetup.msi')
#!cmd

If you run into a 1603 error on install, it means the software is probably already installed, or that the SYSTEM account doesn't have Full Access to the install location.

JAN 2018 EDIT: Since the posting of this, it seems the command pane has changed a bit and can't swap between PS and CMD on the fly.

The new process would involve splitting this in half, as seen here (with the PowerShell 3 example):

Quote:
#!ps
#maxlength=50000
#timeout=300000
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://www.dropbox.com/link/ClientSetup.msi?dl=1 -OutFile C:\temp\ClientSetup.msi

After that runs, switch from PS to CMD and run the installer silently.

Quote:
#!cmd
#maxlength=50000
#timeout=300000

Also, keep in mind that when linking to a file on Dropbox, changing the final part of the URL from dl=0 to dl=1 will skip the landing page and give a direct link to the file (which is necessary for this to work).

Edited by user Tuesday, January 2, 2018 10:35:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarifications

thanks 1 user thanked Will H for this useful post.
Michael L on 6/6/2017(UTC)