logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Summo  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 9:37:55 AM(UTC)
Summo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi. I'm a one-man-band with a bunch of access sessions, and that works great. For ad-hoc remote support for new clients I always used to set up a quick public session using the client's name, then talk them through connecting to it through my website ("click on Remote Support, then you should see your name in the middle of the screen. Click the arrow next to your name and..." etc)

With 6.3, this kind of public session seems to have tucked away. I can't just start a public session anymore, I have to create a Code session, then change the name to the name of the client, then click the three dots and click 'Change Code to name' then click the three dots again and click 'Make Session Public'. There's also no option to automatically join the session anymore, so I have to click again to join it. Several more clicks and faffing than was required pre-6.3

Most annoyingly perhaps, is that on the join screen, the client sees two boxes. One empty, redundant one labelled 'Join with a code' and the other with their name in, which is the public session I've just created. I now have to tell them to ignore the first one, and just click the arrow next to their name.

I think 6.3 is great but I'd love it if the public sessions got the recognition they deserve. Some of us never use Code, Email, Link or Calendar sessions, just Public ones.

thanks 5 users thanked Summo for this useful post.
jasgot on 7/14/2017(UTC), mjth on 7/21/2017(UTC), bbcy on 8/2/2017(UTC), imthetech on 8/8/2017(UTC), mattjj on 10/5/2017(UTC)
jasgot  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 1:43:18 AM(UTC)
jasgot

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I just logged in to post the same annoyance. Without a quick answer, I'll be reverting. :(

Jason

Originally Posted by: Summo Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I'm a one-man-band with a bunch of access sessions, and that works great. For ad-hoc remote support for new clients I always used to set up a quick public session using the client's name, then talk them through connecting to it through my website ("click on Remote Support, then you should see your name in the middle of the screen. Click the arrow next to your name and..." etc)

With 6.3, this kind of public session seems to have tucked away. I can't just start a public session anymore, I have to create a Code session, then change the name to the name of the client, then click the three dots and click 'Change Code to name' then click the three dots again and click 'Make Session Public'. There's also no option to automatically join the session anymore, so I have to click again to join it. Several more clicks and faffing than was required pre-6.3

Most annoyingly perhaps, is that on the join screen, the client sees two boxes. One empty, redundant one labelled 'Join with a code' and the other with their name in, which is the public session I've just created. I now have to tell them to ignore the first one, and just click the arrow next to their name.

I think 6.3 is great but I'd love it if the public sessions got the recognition they deserve. Some of us never use Code, Email, Link or Calendar sessions, just Public ones.

thanks 2 users thanked jasgot for this useful post.
imthetech on 8/8/2017(UTC), mattjj on 10/5/2017(UTC)
eprohias  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2017 7:17:05 AM(UTC)
eprohias

Spain

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We are in the same situation. All the operators of the company say about the difficulty of creating sessions
thanks 2 users thanked eprohias for this useful post.
dwykofka  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:52:37 AM(UTC)
dwykofka

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am having the same issue with my users. I am ok with the new layout but can we get the initial popup back?
thanks 2 users thanked dwykofka for this useful post.
Scott  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 11:08:22 AM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 304 time(s) in 261 post(s)
I just wanted to let everyone who's concerned with this issue know that we're aware of the feedback. We're discussing various ways to return some of the previous behavior or at least reduce the number of clicks required with the new process flow. Whether that's through a core product change or through an optional extension, I'm not sure yet.

Either way, we hear you guys and acknowledge your feelings on the matter.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 2 users thanked Scott for this useful post.
Summo on 7/17/2017(UTC), mattjj on 10/5/2017(UTC)
havok77  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:32:11 PM(UTC)
havok77

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Same here. Really want the quick pop up window back. Hate having to rename all of the sessions as well. It was convenient and efficient before. This product is suppose to increase production, not hinder it.

Thanks!
Cody

Edited by user Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:33:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked havok77 for this useful post.
imthetech on 8/8/2017(UTC)
thomasrw  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:34:19 PM(UTC)
thomasrw

Australia

Same again, public sessions are much easier.

But also we'd end up with a large list of public sessions as we didn't always want to close them immediately, so I would occasionally select all, edit and change all existing sessions to code so that they didn't show up on the public page (I use the 'List Published Sessions' addon to show them as a list not drop box).
And you've also now removed the ability to bulk edit sessions, except to edit their name. I would like to be able to select all and be able to 'make session private' to cleanup the public page.

Thanks
thanks 1 user thanked thomasrw for this useful post.
msergent  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:27:59 PM(UTC)
msergent

+1 on this one. Settup up sessions is awkward now and having the code entry box left onscreen when you have no code sessions left is confusing for the end users.

Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked msergent for this useful post.
spaxi  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 2:11:08 PM(UTC)
spaxi

Switzerland

+1 on this feature. Please provide the possibility to enable the previous behavior. Thanks

Regards, Marco
thanks 1 user thanked spaxi for this useful post.
mjth  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 5:22:46 PM(UTC)
mjth

United States

Agreed that having two windows, "Join with a code" and "Join with a public session" is confusing to users and unnecessary when there are only Public Sessions configured.
thanks 1 user thanked mjth for this useful post.
Johnjw  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 7:46:28 PM(UTC)
Johnjw

Sweden

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How about making a function which automaticly will pull your server ip (or create a field where you can type your own dns) and which then create an exe (much like how you create unattended exe/msi)

This .exe you then deploy on your website, which in turn we name "Quicksupport" for this particular example

When customer downloads this and executes, it will ask for a session id (which you as a technician already has prepared) and as soon as client has typed this code, a new windows popups which clearly states

- Your computer will be remotely controlled after you press "Yes", do you want to continue?

This also solves problem with https on the actual screen connect server since you can just link an exe on your regular website and dont have to fuss with old iframes and all that and on top of that probably improves the security a bit since we dont need a http or https connection on the screen connect server.

PS. Im sure there are some negatives with this aswell but I would happily takes this over anything thats available now :)

Edited by user Monday, July 24, 2017 7:56:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

ckibodeaux  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 9:40:50 PM(UTC)
ckibodeaux

Medals: Bug Buster Level Two: Bugs are more afraid of you than you are of them...ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group MemberLevel 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
It sounds like you would be interested in the extension called "Guest Sessions Starter Exe"
Johnjw  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 10:20:39 PM(UTC)
Johnjw

Sweden

Originally Posted by: ckibodeaux Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like you would be interested in the extension called "Guest Sessions Starter Exe"

While its an interesting approach, it wont reflect the usage scenario I described.

With the extension you mentioned, the client needs to visit website to re-connect at a later point instead of having a permanent quick-support exe on the desktop (yeah you can have several pre-defined support sessions up in advance but gets uneccesary messy after a while when this is just random help support every 2months or more as an example and thus does not warrant for an unattended exe setup either)

And the second bonus (which I personally value high) is the ability to just ditch the web interface (close the ports from router) and not have to bother about even more services to run on the server if you wanna use secure http (https) which in turn lets me get rid of iframes again and less different dialogs every now and then.

Also when theres a chrome/edge/firefox/safari update or w/e which you need to guide your customer to, can sometimes be very time consuming (which some of you probably have noticed).

Some customers dont want a permanent remote program which I have to respect but then it always gets time consuming guiding them through which again would be solved with a "universal" exe for your server which can be deployed beforehand (if possible ofc)

Probably just me thats being picky Confused

Edit: A big turndown with the extension is the human factor, either someone gets trigger happy or confused and download several exe with different names or you get some wannabe hacker spamming your support site OR someone makes a bot which in turn bogs down your server with these requests. (If you can avoid bad stuff with relatively simple changes, then its worth investigating imo)

Edited by user Monday, July 24, 2017 10:27:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

warwagon  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 4:08:29 PM(UTC)
warwagon

United States

When I connect into a user for the first time I drag and drop the guest starter exe onto their desktop. Next time I need to connect I just have them open that up and leave the box empty and just click join. Then it automatically creates a guest connection I can connect into. I don't have to create a session for the client. All they can just leave it black and click join!

Edited by user Friday, July 28, 2017 4:09:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Johnjw  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 8:20:48 PM(UTC)
Johnjw

Sweden

Originally Posted by: warwagon Go to Quoted Post
When I connect into a user for the first time I drag and drop the guest starter exe onto their desktop. Next time I need to connect I just have them open that up and leave the box empty and just click join. Then it automatically creates a guest connection I can connect into. I don't have to create a session for the client. All they can just leave it black and click join!

Yeah, but id prefer if they have a guest .exe on desktop, where they enter a code that I assign to them and not the other way around.

Reason is, I wanna remove certain issues that may arise further down the road that could impact the security of my SC installation.

The other thing is with an exe like the one you mentioned, its capable of flooding the server with unneeded sessions as customer may say
-Nothing happens, ill try again *mashing mousebutton*..
And then theyĺl keep pressing til theres no tomorrow if stuff goes really "haywire" (which can be avoided if its done as I mentioned :) )

Ive simply made the choice to just keep SC for unattended installations, while all the "quick-support" sessions will be made with an alternative software to keep my server out of sight (on the web) as its a time-consuming and slight hassle to setup ssl and maintain that ontop of everything else security wise.

Edited by user Friday, July 28, 2017 8:24:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

warwagon  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 1:28:47 AM(UTC)
warwagon

United States

Originally Posted by: Johnjw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: warwagon Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, but id prefer if they have a guest .exe on desktop, where they enter a code that I assign to them and not the other way around.

Reason is, I wanna remove certain issues that may arise further down the road that could impact the security of my SC installation.

The other thing is with an exe like the one you mentioned, its capable of flooding the server with unneeded sessions as customer may say
-Nothing happens, ill try again *mashing mousebutton*..
And then theyĺl keep pressing til theres no tomorrow if stuff goes really "haywire" (which can be avoided if its done as I mentioned :) )

Ive simply made the choice to just keep SC for unattended installations, while all the "quick-support" sessions will be made with an alternative software to keep my server out of sight (on the web) as its a time-consuming and slight hassle to setup ssl and maintain that ontop of everything else security wise.

Good point. I have noticed a few times that after I signed in I see a bunch of guest connections. My guess is a customer opens it up wondering what it is and then mashes on join a few times. I get what you are saying though. That being said. The method I mentioned above is sooooooooooooooooo much more reliable than fracking gotoassist which is what I came from. It got so bad that every time I would have a customer open up gotoassist they would be greeted with a broken shortcut. Gotoassist was just randomly uninstalling itself leaving broken shortcuts on their desktop. I'm 100x happier on connectwise than I ever was on gotoassist. But that's beyond the point! :)
imthetech  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 1:22:36 PM(UTC)
imthetech

United States

So has there been any progress on this UN-nessesary change for the sake of "new" blunder?
Scott  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:00:54 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

We have an extension created that is currently pending QA. Once it passes we'll release it, which should be in the very near future.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
Johnjw on 8/9/2017(UTC)
al dente  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:37:49 PM(UTC)
al dente

Denmark

where are with the QA and release of the extension?

thanks for your reply.
Scott  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 11:31:08 AM(UTC)
Scott

United States

@al dente it'll likely be available this afternoon if not by end of day Monday. I'll update this thread when it is available for download.

EDIT: the extension allows for a session to be automatically joined after creation and it allows for the default type to be modified (public or private).

Edited by user Friday, August 18, 2017 11:43:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScreenConnect Team
al dente  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 7:59:45 AM(UTC)
al dente

Denmark

What are u gonna call the extension? just so i wont have to scroll through all of them.
Scott  
#22 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 12:16:08 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Obnoxiously that is one of a few minor things holding up the release. When it is available (and when the name has been finalized) I will post here (with the name).
ScreenConnect Team
tsmallwood  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:10:54 PM(UTC)
tsmallwood

United States

Any update on the Fix my techs have been complaining about how much trouble it is to create a public session. WHY, just WHY, did you think this needed to be changed we love the software but this update has totally changed our plans to update to future builds. Sounds like Microsoft removing the start button all over again and telling us its better and to just move on. WE DO NOT WANT TO USE A CODE make it public and walk our clients over to click here and run

I have been using screen connect for years and have been a cheerleader telling everyone how great your software and support have been but, this is just crap.
Ben B  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:11:23 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 44 post(s)
We've just released the "Legacy Public Session Creation" extension, version 1.0.1.

More information can be found here: http://forum.screenconne...ion-Creation-v1-0-1.aspx

Cheers,
Ben
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Ben B for this useful post.
Summo on 8/23/2017(UTC)
Summo  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:37:43 PM(UTC)
Summo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's better, but still not quite there! Guests still see a redundant 'Join with a code' box. Can we remove that somehow? I'm already tired of telling guests to ignore that box and 6.3 has only been around for a month.
tsmallwood  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:10:58 PM(UTC)
tsmallwood

United States

Cant get the extension to work still hate that you changed the way it had been working for the rest of us. Idea change it back to the old way make an extension to auto create a session and bingo we are all happy.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:11:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cosmic2  
#27 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 2:16:55 PM(UTC)
cosmic2

Man
United Kingdom

I'm sorry to say it's driving our guys nuts with having to explain to customer about the code box.
We've been waiting and watching for a fix and this extension just installed doesn't seem to remove the code box.
We self host.

Regards
Rob
Cosmic
Ben B  
#28 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 2:42:07 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cosmic2 Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry to say it's driving our guys nuts with having to explain to customer about the code box.
We've been waiting and watching for a fix and this extension just installed doesn't seem to remove the code box.
We self host.

Regards
Rob
Cosmic

Are you using the most recent version of the Legacy Public Session Creation extension, version 1.0.2? Using the latest version of the extension, when you set the session mode to "Public", the guest-page code box should be automatically hidden.

Set session mode to "Public":

UserPostedImage

On version 6.3.13446, the code box will be removed from the guest page:

UserPostedImage
ScreenConnect Team
jasgot  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 5:18:18 PM(UTC)
jasgot

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ben B Go to Quoted Post
We self host.

Regards
Rob
Cosmic

Are you using the most recent version of the Legacy Public Session Creation extension, version 1.0.2? Using the latest version of the extension, when you set the session mode to "Public", the guest-page code box should be automatically hidden.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have the latest version installed, 1.0.2 and it doesn't look like this, nor does it remove the Join with a Code box.
Four screen shots for you to see.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Thanks. I hope you can help. The Join with a Code is very annoying.

Jason
spaxi  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:06:47 AM(UTC)
spaxi

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: jasgot Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ben B Go to Quoted Post
We self host.

Regards
Rob
Cosmic

I have the latest version installed, 1.0.2 and it doesn't look like this, nor does it remove the Join with a Code box.
Four screen shots for you to see.

Thanks. I hope you can help. The Join with a Code is very annoying.

Jason

Hey there,

we have the same behaviour here. ScreenConnect and legacy plugin are up to date. Codebox is also visible...

Thanks in advance.

Marco

Edited by user Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:08:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified