logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmmccann  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:15:40 PM(UTC)
rmmccann

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I'm currently running version 5.6.10957.6018. I have a question regarding subgroups.

Right now, most of my groupings are using the CustomProperty1 and CustomProperty2 variables and are working fine, however I have one instance where I need some additional customization.

I need the Primary group to be CustomProperty1 = "Company Name" and the Subgroup to be both "CustomProperty2" or "Servers". Essentially what I have is a company with several locations and servers in different locations. I want those servers to be visible both in the specific location subgroup "CustomProperty2" AND in the subgroup called "Servers".

I've been able to get halfway there with the following expression: IIF(Notes LIKE '*Servers*', 'Servers', CustomProperty2) however this is an either/or scenario and I'm not sure how I can modify it so that a machine can be both in the Servers subgroup and in their location subgrouping.

Is what I am trying to accomplish even possible in my version of SC?
Conrad L  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:56:24 PM(UTC)
Conrad L

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi rmmccann,

You can accomplish this with the following subgroup expression: IIF(Notes like '*Servers*' or CustomProperty2 <> '', 'Servers', 'Other'), IIF(CustomProperty2 <> '', CustomProperty2, 'Misc')

Here you will find a screenshot that illustrates the result of the expression. Essentially, what this does is create several CustomProperty2 sub-subgroups under the Servers subgroup. If you click on Servers, you will see all sessions that have notes containing the word Servers as well as those sessions that specify a value for CustomProperty2. You can then select a specific location within the Servers subgroup in order to list only those sessions with a CustomProperty2 value equal to the name of this newly selected subgroup.

For clarity's sake, lets step through the differences between your original subgroup expression and the one I've provided above. As you correctly stated, use of the IIF function in your original manner will only filter sessions based on the content of their respective note values and place them in either a Servers or CustomProperty2 subgroup. By altering your IIF function to IIF(Notes like '*Servers*' or CustomProperty2 <> '', 'Servers', 'Other') we can put all sessions that have a notes value containing the word Servers or a specified CustomProperty2 value into the Servers subgroup, while assiging anything that does not meet this requirement into the Other subgroup (you can, of course, alter the false condition to whatever you want). The only other difference is that I added a second IIF function expression. By creating a comma separated list of subgroup expressions, you can create sub-subgroups. In this case, after the first expression is evaluated, the second expression applies a further filter upon the groupings defined in the first expression. The IIF(CustomProperty2 <> '', CustomProperty2, 'Misc') expression looks at all the sessions that have been placed within the Servers subgroup and then filters those results by checking their CustomProperty2 value and then places them in an appropriate sub-subgroup detailed by the value of that session's CustomProperty2 or into the Misc sub-subgroup if the session lacks a CustomProperty2 value. This will occur in like manner with the Other subgroup.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Conrad L for this useful post.
rmmccann on 7/18/2017(UTC)
rmmccann  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:33:09 PM(UTC)
rmmccann

Thanks for the follow-up, Conrad.

Your information helped me get closer to my goal, but it appears as though I can't have my cake and eat it too (at least not exactly as I want to).

I made some modifications to your expression to get me closer to goal: CustomProperty2, IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations')

This way worked to guarantee my CustomProperty2 is the first subgroup. From there I've been able to sort into servers (if applicable) and workstations. What I was not able to accomplish was to also have a Subgroup with the CustomPropert2 grouping called "Servers" that included all servers regardless of location.

If I make modifications to the first parameter, it seems to exclude items from additional parameters.

For example, I tried: IIF(Notes like '*Servers*' or CustomProperty2 = 'Servers', 'Servers', CustomProperty2), IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations').

This created my CustomProperty2 subgroups and my Servers subgroup, however it does not allow me to have the additional "Servers" sub-subgrouping as all the servers are already lumped into the "Servers" subgroup.

A visual of what I want exactly is as below:

ACME Corp
>Chicago (all Chicago workstations and servers)
-->Servers
>New York (all New York devices like above)
-->Servers
>Seattle (all Seattle devices)
-->Servers
>Servers (all servers regardless of location)
-->Chicago (all Chicago servers)
-->New York (all New York servers)
-->Seattle (all Seattle servers)

The thing I'd like to avoid is additional sub-subgrouping if a location doesn't have any physical servers of its own. If that's not possible I'd be OK with the above and a "Workstation" grouping like I've got with my current modified expression. I hope this makes sense?

Edited by user Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:34:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MannyTC  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:32:24 PM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I believe you would need to create two different session groups to accomplish this. I don't think it would be reliable to try to combine both of these into the same session group. I use two session groups in this same way. One has location first before the machine type and my other has machine type before the location.

ACME Corp
-->Servers
-->Servers
-->Servers

The above can be obtained with something like this (although it has more subgroups and derives the machine type by interrogating the OS type
Quote:

CustomProperty1, CustomProperty2, IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server*', 'Servers', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Mac*', 'Macs', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows*', 'Workstations', 'Other'))), IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows XP*', 'Windows XP', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows Vista*', 'Windows Vista', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows 7*', 'Windows 7', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows 8*', 'Windows 8', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Windows 10*', 'Windows 10', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server 2003*', 'Server 2003', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Small Business Server 2008*', 'Small Business Server 2008', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Small Business Server 2011*', 'Small Business Server 2011', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server 2008 R2*', 'Server 2008 R2', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server (R) 2008*', 'Server 2008', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server 2012 R2*', 'Server 2012 R2', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server 2012*', 'Server 2012', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemName LIKE '*Server 2016*', 'Server 2016', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.6*', 'Snow Leopard', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.7*', 'Lion', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.8*', 'Mountain Lion', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.9*', 'Mavericks', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.10*', 'Yosemite', IIF (GuestOperatingSystemVersion LIKE '*10.11*', 'El Capitan', 'Other'))))))))))))))))))), GuestClientVersion

To accomplish your other format you would need a separate Session group where the machine type subgroup comes before the location.

ACME Corp

Edited by user Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:36:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked MannyTC for this useful post.
Conrad L on 7/18/2017(UTC), rmmccann on 7/18/2017(UTC)
Conrad L  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:20:11 PM(UTC)
Conrad L

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rmmccann Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the follow-up, Conrad.

Your information helped me get closer to my goal, but it appears as though I can't have my cake and eat it too (at least not exactly as I want to).

I made some modifications to your expression to get me closer to goal: CustomProperty2, IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations')

This way worked to guarantee my CustomProperty2 is the first subgroup. From there I've been able to sort into servers (if applicable) and workstations. What I was not able to accomplish was to also have a Subgroup with the CustomPropert2 grouping called "Servers" that included all servers regardless of location.

If I make modifications to the first parameter, it seems to exclude items from additional parameters.

For example, I tried: IIF(Notes like '*Servers*' or CustomProperty2 = 'Servers', 'Servers', CustomProperty2), IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations').

This created my CustomProperty2 subgroups and my Servers subgroup, however it does not allow me to have the additional "Servers" sub-subgrouping as all the servers are already lumped into the "Servers" subgroup.

A visual of what I want exactly is as below:

ACME Corp
-->Servers
-->Servers
-->Servers

The thing I'd like to avoid is additional sub-subgrouping if a location doesn't have any physical servers of its own. If that's not possible I'd be OK with the above and a "Workstation" grouping like I've got with my current modified expression. I hope this makes sense?

Hi rmmccann,

Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to achieve exactly what you want. In order to filter your sessions by both location and machine type, you would need your initial IFF function to do something like this: IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers' and CustomProperty2, CustomProperty2). This syntax, however, is not supported, but if this is something you would like to see implemented, you can make a feature request here.

Your best bet is to follow the advice of MannyTC. In your case, you could achieve such results by taking the following steps:

1) Create a session group, for example, Acme Group By Location and set the session filter to something like CustomProperty1 = 'Acme Corp'
2) Enter the following subgroup expression: CustomProperty2, IIF(Notes LIKE '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations')
3) Clone the Acme Group by Location session group and change its name to something like Acme Group by Machine Type
4) Enter the following subgroup expression: IIF(Notes LIKE '*Servers*', 'Servers', 'Workstations'), IIF(CustomProperty2 <> '', CustomProperty2, 'Misc')

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Conrad L for this useful post.
rmmccann on 7/18/2017(UTC)
rmmccann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:22:01 PM(UTC)
rmmccann

Thanks guys.

I ended up splitting the different a bit and went with IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', 'Servers', CustomProperty2), IIF(Notes like '*Servers*', CustomProperty2, CustomProperty3) for my subgroup expression.

Since I use CustomProperty# a bunch I was able to make the subgrouping more useful than servers and workstations and break it down to things like "laptop" "thin client" "virtual machine" etc.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:29:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo