logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lpopejoy  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 8:32:54 PM(UTC)
lpopejoy

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
We have our own Screenconnect licenses from pre-Connectwise days. I'm trying to figure out if I can get the SC integration with labtech to work without running a completely separate SC server. It seems absolutely insane that I can't.

Could I run a new SC server, and then move my currently licenses for ad-hoc support into it? I just don't get why there isn't a better pathway for partners who already have both products.
Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:28:50 AM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 304 time(s) in 261 post(s)
Quote:
It seems absolutely insane that I can't.
Personally, I mostly agree with this. Relatively, there aren't that many customers who own a ScreenConnect license and also have LabTech, but making them run two separate servers does seem quite silly.

With that said, we never really intended for the two licenses to combine. From a technical perspective, when you purchase a LabTech license you also receive an "Access Only Unlimited Concurrent Connection" ScreenConnect license. This license is "printed" by LabTech and validates itself to their own licensing servers (which is why they manage license addons/upgrades). Because of this, integrating the two license runtimes is not a simple task to complete and in general, we try to stay away from making modifications to the license stuff just because it's such a risky area and the code has proven to be very solid.

When the acquisition was first announced I remember hearing more calls for a way to integrate the licensing but I can't say that it's come up much lately. The best course of action is probably register something within our Product Feedback Portal. I couldn't find an already existing issue but I didn't search too hard.
ScreenConnect Team
lpopejoy  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 12:35:22 AM(UTC)
lpopejoy

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Lol, ok. So bottom line: If I wish to use the LabTech included screen connect licenses, then I need to run two ScreenConnect servers?

So new partners do not face this? In other words if I threw my existing licenses in the trashcan and purchased new ones, I wouldn't have this problem?
Scott  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2017 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
Scott

United States

Quote:
If I wish to use the LabTech included screen connect licenses, then I need to run two ScreenConnect servers?

From my understanding, yes.

New partners face a similar decision, depending upon which product(s) they purchase. If they solely want ScreenConnect then they would proceed normally. If they want LabTech but with Support sessions, they would contact LabTech to add that feature to their LabTech-generated ScreenConnect license.
ScreenConnect Team
shawnkhall  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:44:03 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Does it not work by simply installing the second copy in a different directory and ensuring that you're using named values in WebServerListenUri (not "+")?
Scott  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:32:59 PM(UTC)
Scott

United States

So if you're really interested, yes it's certainly possible to run multiple instances of the server process on the same machine. This setup would not be supported in anyway, just as an FYI.

Really the only thing running the installer does is place a few entries into the CurrentControlSet for services (so that it automatically starts when the machine starts) and registers it within the msiexec listing/cache. If you take a copy of the installation and move it then call directly into the process, you can start the three services fairly easily.

So, say you have a single Windows server on which you want to host 5 different installations of the server software. First, make 5 copies of the installation (ie C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect1, C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect2, C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect3, etc). Each different installation would have to have its own unique webserverlistenuri and relaylistenuri values.

Now, you can call each ScreenConnect.Service.exe proc directly and pass the argument "startservices".
Code:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect1\Bin\ScreenConnect.Service.exe" startservices
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ScreenConnect2\Bin\ScreenConnect.Service.exe" startservices

This should spawn 5 different processes each running its own implementations of the software. For sanity sake, you could pass the argument "interactive" instead since that will display the trace window for each proc(ie stdout,stderr).

The downsides to doing this is that since you are not running the installer the processes would need to be scripted to automatically start upon boot, but in theory you could just create your own objects into services.msc to do this.

Finally, upgrading from one version to another would have to be manually done since our installer has a decent amount of logic for correctly transforming the various files.

This is pretty much exactly how our cloud operates, we have crazy powerful backend servers hosting anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand instances, each within their own environment and unaware the other instances are also there.
ScreenConnect Team