logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CRob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:20:40 PM(UTC)
CRob

United States

I've searched the forum for help with getting Symantec to play nice with Control with no luck. So I'll share what we've found out in testing, maybe it will apply to others...

"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

The above message happens when trying to use the Guest Basic Installer Builder extension or when a tech tries to remote in to a machine (every single time Cursing ).

After some testing we found out that the SONAR protection in Endpoint is blocking the installers from running.

For us on Symantec EP Ver. 14,

Open Symantec as an admin...

Click "Change Settings" from the left most text options, then click "Configure Settings" under the Proactive Threat Protection box.

Once open uncheck "Enable SONAR" then go to the Suspicious Behavior Detection tab and uncheck "Enable Suspicious Behavior Detection". Click OK.

Now try installing one of the dled exe's, it should work now.

Once done you can re-enable SONAR which will also enable Suspicious Behavior Detection automatically. In our testing once Control is installed/run EP leaves it alone.

Don't forget to submit a false positive to Symantec! Hopefully they'll do something if enough people report....

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Ben B  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:16:16 PM(UTC)
Ben B

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Thank you for reporting this. We've replicated this in our development environment and I've made the development and product management teams aware of the behavior.

In my testing I found that SONAR doesn't block the msi installer; only the exe installer fails to install the client when SONAR's enabled. Is this your experience as well?

Cheers,
Ben
ScreenConnect Team
CRob  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 3:57:49 PM(UTC)
CRob

United States

Originally Posted by: Ben B Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for reporting this. We've replicated this in our development environment and I've made the development and product management teams aware of the behavior.

In my testing I found that SONAR doesn't block the msi installer; only the exe installer fails to install the client when SONAR's enabled. Is this your experience as well?

Cheers,
Ben

Hey Ben,

Is there an MSI option for when a Tech initiates a connection for the first time (ConnectWiseControl.ClientSetup.exe but .MSI)? If you don't disable SONAR, every time a Tech joins a session there is a prompt for installing ConnectWiseControl.ClientSetup.exe. SONAR will block the software from installing permanently, thus requiring the setup to be run every time you try to connect to a computer.

Thanks
SoCo_Systems  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 6:31:38 PM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If these are managed SEP clients, couldn't you just add your SC server to the trusted sites list?
CRob  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 7:04:27 PM(UTC)
CRob

United States

Originally Posted by: SoCo_Systems Go to Quoted Post
If these are managed SEP clients, couldn't you just add your SC server to the trusted sites list?

Thanks for the reply.

I added our SC site to the trusted sites list during testing, it did not make a difference. We can download the file just fine, but get the listed error message in post one when launching the exe.
MannyTC  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2017 10:37:23 PM(UTC)
MannyTC

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I've had this issue for years with customers with SEP. I always get that message when running the .exe but it always works on the second try. I only had this problem with the Access client and not when doing a Support session. Recently I encountered a customer with Norton Security that gave me the same message when trying the Access client and it wouldn't install even after trying it a second time as I had been able to do previously. To quickly get around it I created a Support session and then when connected I used the Install Access feature and it installed that way with no issue and I did not need to disable anything.