logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gary@gandlenterprises.net  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:32:43 AM(UTC)

United States

Hey all. I've been using SC for years, but need to move the installation to a new server. Same ports, external IP, etc, just a new box.

I can clean install SC on the new machine, and can connect to it fine, including building a new SC client. Everything is working fine.

Until I try to restore my backup of the files from my old box (to get my existing clients to connect, as well as all my session groups). After I copy the SC folder to the new server and restart the services, the Relay service stops immediately on start. I've tried everything I can think of, and no matter what, once I restore my SC folder from the backup machine to the new machine, BANG, no relay service.

Any ideas?

FYI, I DID follow all the instructions on moving to a new server, including stopping all services before backing up and before restoring. One REALLY weird thing is, if I backup the "clean" install on the new machine, and restore it after breaking the install by restoring my backup from the old machine, the relay service STAYS BROKEN. Only uninstalling and reinstalling the server install gets the new machine working again.

Crying
Scott  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:19:28 AM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 304 time(s) in 261 post(s)
It's tough to say exactly what might be the problem, but are both versions of ScreenConnect the exact same (on the new server and old)?

Are there any other applications (such as IIS, etc) installed on the new server that might be taking the ports?

Lastly, is there any kind of indicative error within the Application log in the Event Viewer?
ScreenConnect Team
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:01:04 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
It's tough to say exactly what might be the problem, but are both versions of ScreenConnect the exact same (on the new server and old)?

Are there any other applications (such as IIS, etc) installed on the new server that might be taking the ports?

Lastly, is there any kind of indicative error within the Application log in the Event Viewer?

Versions are the same, IIS is running on the new box (was on the old also), but the baffling parts is it WORKS perfectly, UNTIL I copy the files from the old server to the new one. And all that stops working is the Relay service. You can still access the webpage, both locally and from the 'net. And putting a copy of the "new" files back doesn't fix the service. Only uninstalling and reinstalling gets the relay service to stay running again.

As for errors in the event viewer, it's just the notice that the service started and stopped immediately, with some wording about how services that aren't in use are supposed to do that. Sorry I'm away from the machines in question and writing this from memory.

SoCo_Systems  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 6:05:28 PM(UTC)
SoCo_Systems

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I ran into that when I moved everything to a new server. I found what works is to do it the other way around:
First drop your old ScreenConnect folder, all of it, into the Program Files (x86) folder
Then run the installer. It will find the existing folder and "upgrade" it, even if what you are installing is the same version.
thanks 1 user thanked SoCo_Systems for this useful post.
gary@gandlenterprises.net on 10/5/2017(UTC)
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:29:55 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: SoCo_Systems Go to Quoted Post
I ran into that when I moved everything to a new server. I found what works is to do it the other way around:
First drop your old ScreenConnect folder, all of it, into the Program Files (x86) folder
Then run the installer. It will find the existing folder and "upgrade" it, even if what you are installing is the same version.

You are awesomeness on a stick! That worked! THANK YOU!