logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mchernetsky  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 12:43:21 AM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Hey ScreenConnect,

We are wondering if you have recommendations for our On-Premise ScreenConnect Server.

We are running Win 2012 R2 and have roughly 2900 machines now. This is a VM with 8 cores dedicated and 16gb static ram allocated. We are thinking about switching over to a physical server if that solves our performance problems but right around the 5.5 to 6.1 update we started experiencing really slow sessions. To be clear, we can still function but everything has a substantial lag on it that we know ScreenConnect didn't have before.

Any ideas on this or Recommendations for us would be very helpful.

Best Regards,
Michael C
shawnkhall  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2018 4:04:44 AM(UTC)
shawnkhall

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
how big is the session.db?

have you implemented any firewall rules, port forwarding, or other network level changes?

are you using the defaults for video records and image uploads? what are the storage specs?
thanks 1 user thanked shawnkhall for this useful post.
mchernetsky on 1/26/2018(UTC)
mhanson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:30:36 PM(UTC)
mhanson

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mchernetsky Go to Quoted Post
Hey ScreenConnect,

We are wondering if you have recommendations for our On-Premise ScreenConnect Server.

We are running Win 2012 R2 and have roughly 2900 machines now. This is a VM with 8 cores dedicated and 16gb static ram allocated. We are thinking about switching over to a physical server if that solves our performance problems but right around the 5.5 to 6.1 update we started experiencing really slow sessions. To be clear, we can still function but everything has a substantial lag on it that we know ScreenConnect didn't have before.

Best Regards,
Michael C

Hi Michael,

Just as a comparison, we're running 11k on a VM with a single core and 8GB RAM with no performances issues, currently at 6.4.

I second reviewing the size of the session.db & the disk your installation sits on.
thanks 1 user thanked mhanson for this useful post.
mchernetsky  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 12:48:29 AM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Originally Posted by: shawnkhall Go to Quoted Post
how big is the session.db?

have you implemented any firewall rules, port forwarding, or other network level changes?

are you using the defaults for video records and image uploads? what are the storage specs?

Shawnkhall,

Thanks for looking into this!

Our session.db is 5.8gb. I did move it over to a gigabit connection instead of our 300mb. (Both Symmetric fiber)
I have never touched settings for video records and image uploads. Would love more info on that.
The VHDX is sitting on a deduplicated SSD Clusterd Shared Volume.

Side bar Question: Is it typical to take about 30 minutes to start up if the Screen Connect server restarts?

-MC

mchernetsky  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 12:50:27 AM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Originally Posted by: mhanson Go to Quoted Post
Hey ScreenConnect,

Best Regards,
Michael C

Hi Michael,

Just as a comparison, we're running 11k on a VM with a single core and 8GB RAM with no performances issues, currently at 6.4.

I second reviewing the size of the session.db & the disk your installation sits on.

Thanks for the comparison! How long does your Screen Connect Server take to start up?

-MC

mhanson  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 12:59:29 PM(UTC)
mhanson

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey ScreenConnect,

Best Regards,
Michael C

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the comparison! How long does your Screen Connect Server take to start up?

-MC

The same amount of time, 20/30 minutes, though our .db is quite a bit smaller, only 750 MB as we have a pretty aggressive maintenance plan & no video for various reasons.
thanks 1 user thanked mhanson for this useful post.
mchernetsky  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 3:39:31 PM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Hey ScreenConnect,

Best Regards,
Michael C

Hi Michael,

-MC

The same amount of time, 20/30 minutes, though our .db is quite a bit smaller, only 750 MB as we have a pretty aggressive maintenance plan & no video for various reasons.

What settings do you have for your maintenance plan? I think the only thing we care about is notes and I can't imagine that taking up 4gb worth in the session.db.

Do you have computer names only or do you have modified names? (Does this even make a difference?)

-MC

Scott  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 12:28:13 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 270 post(s)
We made several changes to the server architecture between 6.0 and 6.2 to improve database performance and decrease the startup times. My latest startup test with a 3GB database on 6.5 took about 30 seconds to start, with a SSD.

I'm also curious what options you have enabled for your maintenance plan for similar reasons to what @mchernetsky outlined above. Could you post a screenshot?
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
mchernetsky on 2/9/2018(UTC)
mchernetsky  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 9, 2018 2:44:58 PM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
We made several changes to the server architecture between 6.0 and 6.2 to improve database performance and decrease the startup times. My latest startup test with a 3GB database on 6.5 took about 30 seconds to start, with a SSD.

I'm also curious what options you have enabled for your maintenance plan for similar reasons to what @mchernetsky outlined above. Could you post a screenshot?

Absolutely!

[img]https://imgur.com/a/icTQN[/img]

Having a difficult time getting my image on here. Here is a link. Sorry for the forum newbie-ness.

https://imgur.com/a/icTQN

-MC

Scott  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 1:26:17 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 270 post(s)
@mchernetsky Here's an example DB maintenance that might help you:
UserPostedImage

I'd recommend adding
Access: Delete ended sessions older than 30 days
Access: Delete Host and Guest connections older than 30 days
for Access and the other three options for both Support and Meeting also.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
mchernetsky on 2/12/2018(UTC)
mchernetsky  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 5:33:36 PM(UTC)
mchernetsky

United States

Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
@mchernetsky Here's an example DB maintenance that might help you:
UserPostedImage

I'd recommend adding
Access: Delete ended sessions older than 30 days
Access: Delete Host and Guest connections older than 30 days
for Access and the other three options for both Support and Meeting also.

I'll add after hours today and let you guys know. Thanks for all the help!

-MC