logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bnx2014  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:08:41 AM(UTC)
bnx2014

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There are some computers that I have ScreenConnect installed on that I must seek permission to connect to in advance of accessing. The ability to see the screen in the preview in v4 on those violates this agreement. How can I stop this display for those computers please?

My ideal would be to be able to set it at the remote end as well as at the admin side as an option, and disabled at either side will stop it happening.

Thanks.

Jeff  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 10:45:29 AM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 120 post(s)
ScreenConnect Team
bnx2014  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 11:44:59 AM(UTC)
bnx2014

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well, I guess that allows me to turn it off completely. I hope that you will add an option to allow it on a per-site basis in future. I've grown to like it for the servers.

Thanks.
gb5102  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 2:23:20 AM(UTC)
gb5102

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes, more granular control of this would be great.
Its very nice for some instances(servers), but privacy concern in others(clients).
Jeff  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 2:34:00 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I will pass that along thank you for the suggestion.
ScreenConnect Team
rmmccann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:09:25 PM(UTC)
rmmccann

Medals: Level 2: Lent a Helping Hand! 10 Thanks!

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I'd like to +1 this. It would be nice to have session by session control for this functionality, or even by session group.
Bartman12345  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:46:19 AM(UTC)
Bartman12345

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think screen previews are a bad idea and are a serious privacy risk for all users with an unattended client installed.

But that's just my opinion :)

I started a thread addressing this issue here in case anyone is interested.

I would just like to mention here that if people are genuinely worried about privacy concerns related to these screenshots, it absolutely HAS to be controlled from the client side. Blocking access at the server may give the illusion of "doing the right thing" by your users, but it's pretty pointless if you can just re-enable that access whenever you feel like it.
Dnssandbox  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:52:57 PM(UTC)
Dnssandbox

Screen Previews are invaluable to our workflow - Almost 600 computers.

When we take on a new client and before installing the unattended client, the principals (owners, partners etc.) of the companies are informed of most of the capabilities of SC including those concerning previews. In some case we even give them a demo, so that they are aware of what we can do and see.

In all cases, they have said go ahead and install it. Sometimes the further response is that these are company computers, owned by the company and to be used for work, so there should be nothing personal and private on it.

I understand that not all features in SC will work for everyone, but to continue to electioneer that your way is the only correct way to go about it, is self serving to say the least.

Our clients trust us to work on their systems whether they are present or not, and to a company, does not feel their employees should dictate what can be controlled on the company's computer.
They know that we are not reading their emails or sitting and monitoring the screen previews. They trust us.

If you have clients that do not want you to have the ability to see previews of their screens, and you don't want to disable that feature on your end, maybe you should simply uninstall the unattended sessions.

If they can't trust you as a professional not to be using that feature to invade their privacy, how can they trust you to work on their systems during after hours when you have full access to their servers and everything on the workstations?

SC is an awesome piece of software, one of the best out their - and once Printing is added, will probably be the best. Not all the features fit my needs and I could probably do without some of them, but I would never conceive to campaign to have something removed from SC that could be of benefit to others here.

I just don't understand....

Originally Posted by: Bartman12345 Go to Quoted Post
I think screen previews are a bad idea and are a serious privacy risk for all users with an unattended client installed.

But that's just my opinion :)

I started a thread addressing this issue here in case anyone is interested.

I would just like to mention here that if people are genuinely worried about privacy concerns related to these screenshots, it absolutely HAS to be controlled from the client side. Blocking access at the server may give the illusion of "doing the right thing" by your users, but it's pretty pointless if you can just re-enable that access whenever you feel like it.

Bartman12345  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:24:57 PM(UTC)
Bartman12345

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Fair enough, if you find the screen previews useful in your situation then that's great. Perhaps I was out of line saying it was a "bad idea" outright.

Originally Posted by: Dnssandbox Go to Quoted Post

SC is an awesome piece of software, one of the best out their - and once Printing is added, will probably be the best.

I agree that SC is great, I shelled out my hard-earned for it after all. I just feel strongly that the security side of things could use some beefing up, especially on the client side. My clients do place their trust in me, but trust is not a substitute for real security.

Originally Posted by: Dnssandbox Go to Quoted Post
Not all the features fit my needs and I could probably do without some of them, but I would never conceive to campaign to have something removed from SC that could be of benefit to others here.

I just don't understand....

Although I admit I have been focusing on the negative aspects of the screenshots I have not at any point suggested that the functionality should be removed. I just want to be able to disable them, and I don't think doing it from the server is good enough. It's not like I'm alone here, this quote comes from the original poster -

Quote:
My ideal would be to be able to set it at the remote end as well as at the admin side as an option, and disabled at either side will stop it happening.
(emphasis mine)

It's honestly not my intention to be self serving. If ScreenConnect improves as a result of the discussions in this forum then everyone benefits, and that can only be a good thing.
SCCurious  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 4:53:09 PM(UTC)
SCCurious

United States

My 2 cents.

1. Disabling screen previews on unattended clients is completely pointless if you can simply connect to the client at any time.

2. If HostWithoutConsent is false, then a screen preview should not be available until after consent.
SharKom  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:56:54 AM(UTC)
SharKom

Italy

+1 for me