logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sllewji  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:06:37 PM(UTC)
sllewji

United Kingdom

I'm using Version 5 and, if possible, I would like to use SQL server rather than SQLite to host the SC session data.

I have seen a post from around a year ago that indicates that it _should_ be possible to do this (on Version 4) by amending the connection string in the web.config file, which I have done as follows :-

Quote:
<add name="SessionDatabase" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Data Source=SCServer; Initial Catalog=SCDatabase; Integrated Security=true;" />

The SC services start up fine, but when browsing to the guest or host web pages I receive the following error :-

Quote:
System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Elsinore.ScreenConnect.SessionManagerFault]: Unable to build the 'Tables' collection because execution of the SQL query failed. See the inner exception for details. (Fault Detail is equal to Elsinore.ScreenConnect.SessionManagerFault).

I scripted the session tables into the database in the hops that this would solve the issue, but no luck.

I have run the SQL Profiler to watch the exchanges between SC and SQL but, apart from the initial login when SC is started and logout when SC is stopped, there appears to be no activity on the server.

Has anyone else had any success in changing the database platform?

Edited by user Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:13:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:20:00 AM(UTC)
Jake

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 188 post(s)
I've been meaning to try this, but we've never gotten around to it. Maybe we can find the time soon. Probably an easy fix.
ScreenConnect Team
sllewji  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:23:10 AM(UTC)
sllewji

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jake Go to Quoted Post
I've been meaning to try this, but we've never gotten around to it. Maybe we can find the time soon. Probably an easy fix.

I would be happy to help.
If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
jdp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:43:55 AM(UTC)
jdp

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This would be a really usefull feature. It means we could create our own reports rather than have to use the limited audit reports.
Jeff  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 3:30:12 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I'm sure Jake probably already entered this into our queue for someone to investigate but if not I will make sure its there. Also one of our team has started working on providing queries into the database via our blog: http://blogs.screenconnect.com/

Not exactly what this post is looking for but it might be useful as we look at SQL server. Feel free to post any query questions in the forum and we will ask one of the team to respond.
ScreenConnect Team
Jake  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:07:33 PM(UTC)
Jake

I got this working today. SQL server was just barking because it was querying metadata tables without being a part of the active transaction. We worked around. Oracle and other DBMSes will likely have little issues like this also.

It'll be in 5.1. It just needs an empty database, and it'll create the schema for you.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Jake for this useful post.
sllewji on 10/1/2014(UTC)
sllewji  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 7:49:09 AM(UTC)
sllewji

United Kingdom

I got this working today. SQL server was just barking because it was querying metadata tables without being a part of the active transaction. We worked around. Oracle and other DBMSes will likely have little issues like this also.

It'll be in 5.1. It just needs an empty database, and it'll create the schema for you.

Excellent news - thanks Jake.

And now for the $1K question - when do you think we might get access to 5.1? ;-)
Jeff  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 7:27:55 PM(UTC)
Jeff

Man

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 120 post(s)
5.0 barring final testing issues, should be available in a few weeks. However if we find anything major it might be a week or so after that. You can expect a 5.1 beta around the same time.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Jeff for this useful post.
sllewji on 10/8/2014(UTC)
kalish89  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2015 11:27:16 PM(UTC)
kalish89

United States

Have installed 5.1 on a test machine and have been trying to get screenconnect running on the sql express database but not having any luck. Can I get some help on how to get this working?

Thanks in advances.
Alexander  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 5:28:20 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Medals: Level 3: Shirt off your back! Received 25 Thanks!

Man

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Are you getting any specific errors?
ScreenConnect Team
kalish89  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:59:08 PM(UTC)
kalish89

United States

When I change the web.config look at my sql express database the services will not start back up...

Here is what I am changing:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="SessionDatabase" providerName="SQLite" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|/Session.db; DateTimeKind=Utc; Foreign Keys=true; Page Size=4096; Cache Size=100000; Journal Mode=WAL" />
</connectionStrings>

To:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="SessionDatabase" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Data Source=zamin; Initial Catalog=myscreenconnectdbname;" />
</connectionStrings>
Alexander  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:54:51 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

Your connection string needs to include some sort of security (either integrated security like the OP, or a username/password).
ScreenConnect Team
kalish89  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:58:37 PM(UTC)
kalish89

United States

Finally got this working... Turns out I had SQL Server 2008 64-bit installed. Installed 32-bit version and now able to start the ScreenConnect services.

How does the database work with ScreenConnect? I am trying to update a CustomProperty field using a third party application that I've created. The database shows that the record has been updated but in ScreenConnect the field is still blank. Then after sometime the database record goes blank again. I seems like the database is not synced real-time with ScreenConnect or ScreenConnect writes to the database but never reads from it...

Is it possible to update the CustomProperty field using a third party application?

Alexander  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:03:52 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

Yeah, ScreenConnect only reads from the database on startup, I believe. I recently answered another question about updating custom properties, so I'll direct you there.
ScreenConnect Team
ErikNKS  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:07:02 PM(UTC)
ErikNKS

United States

Originally Posted by: kalish89 Go to Quoted Post
Finally got this working... Turns out I had SQL Server 2008 64-bit installed. Installed 32-bit version and now able to start the ScreenConnect services.

How does the database work with ScreenConnect? I am trying to update a CustomProperty field using a third party application that I've created. The database shows that the record has been updated but in ScreenConnect the field is still blank. Then after sometime the database record goes blank again. I seems like the database is not synced real-time with ScreenConnect or ScreenConnect writes to the database but never reads from it...

Is it possible to update the CustomProperty field using a third party application?

Does ScreenConnect still only work with the 32-bit version of SQL Server? I am also running this from a server with SQL Server 2008 64-bit, and would love to be able to migrate to SQL rather than SQLlite...
Alexander  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:28:01 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

I don't know why it didn't work for kalish, but it really shouldn't matter whether it's 32- or 64-bit. I'd certainly suggest giving it a shot if you haven't already.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Alexander for this useful post.
ErikNKS on 3/11/2015(UTC)
ErikNKS  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:54:18 PM(UTC)
ErikNKS

United States

Originally Posted by: Alexander Go to Quoted Post
I don't know why it didn't work for kalish, but it really shouldn't matter whether it's 32- or 64-bit. I'd certainly suggest giving it a shot if you haven't already.

Ok, I'll give it another shot then. I'm new to a lot of this and self-teach as I go (as do many, I'm sure). If I get it working, is there any decent way to migrate the machines already set up? I got about 460 machines installed via powershell script, and the other half failed... still working on that. lol.
Alexander  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 2:20:31 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

It probably wouldn't be too hard to move data from SQLite to SQL Server; this StackOverflow question has some suggestions.
ScreenConnect Team
ErikNKS  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 3:56:18 PM(UTC)
ErikNKS

United States

Is there a help topic on how to use MSSQL other than this forum discussion? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Aside from changing the connection String, I figured I probably needed to change the DBProvider Factories? Am I wrong?

dbprovider -
<add name="SqlClient Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlClient" description=".Net Framework Data Provider for SqlServer" type="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientFactory, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

ConnectionString -
<add name="SessionDatabase" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Persist Security Info=False; uid=mylogin; pwd=mypwd; Data Source =(local); Initial Catalog=mydb; " />

The service starts and stops immediately. Does mydb need to have the data imported before Screenconnect connects to it?
Alexander  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2015 9:10:41 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

You probably shouldn't have to add anything to DBProviderFactories, though you may need to remove the <clear />.

The error log/event viewer should have more info about why it's stopping immediately.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Alexander for this useful post.
ErikNKS on 3/16/2015(UTC)
ErikNKS  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 1:40:15 PM(UTC)
ErikNKS

United States

Originally Posted by: Alexander Go to Quoted Post
You probably shouldn't have to add anything to DBProviderFactories, though you may need to remove the <clear />.

The error log/event viewer should have more info about why it's stopping immediately.

That was it. Thanks!

It put in all of my sessions as well!

Sadly, this didn't allow me to complete what I was hoping, but it's still awesome.

Thanks again!
Jareds  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:06:34 PM(UTC)
Jareds

United States

I feel like I am missing something here. I am trying to connect to SQL Server Windows NT - 64 Bit and having no luck.

I have;
installed SQL 2012, default instance.
Added "ScreenConnect" database
imported table information from SQLite
Created "SC" user and given it owner rights to the ScreenConnect database and sysadmin rights
In the web.config file;
Rem-ed out the <clear /> tag under DbProviderFactories
Under <connectionStrings> added; <add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=SC2012;Initial Catalog=ScreenConnect;User Id=SC;Password=pwrd;Persist Security Info=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
Rem-ed out the old "SessionDatabase" string
And then reset the session manager service.

It keeps giving me the error;
Log Name: Application
Source: ScreenConnect Session Manager
Date: 6/16/2015 4:57:22 PM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SC2012
Description:
Failed to start service: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot be null
at ScreenConnect.Extensions.AssertNonNull[T](T obj, String fullErrorMessage)
at ScreenConnect.Extensions.AssertNonNull[T](T obj)
at ScreenConnect.DbExtensions.GetOpenConnection(String connectionStringName)
at ScreenConnect.SessionDatabaseManager..ctor()
at ScreenConnect.SessionManager..ctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.CreateImplementation(Type serviceType)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.SetupSingleton(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, Object implementation, Boolean isWellKnown)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.GetService(Type serviceType)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.CreateDescription(IDictionary`2& implementedContracts)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.InitializeDescription(UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.InitializeDescription(Type serviceType, UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses)
at ScreenConnect.ServiceHostWrapper`1..ctor()
at ScreenConnect.SessionManagerServiceHostWrapper..ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainRootObjectConfigurationService.CreateAppDomainServiceRoot()
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainServiceBase.StartServiceInternal()
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainConfigurationService.StartServiceInternal()
at ScreenConnect.ServiceBaseEx.StartService()
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="ScreenConnect Session Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-06-16T21:57:22.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3546</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>SC2012</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Failed to start service: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---&gt; System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---&gt; System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot be null
at ScreenConnect.Extensions.AssertNonNull[T](T obj, String fullErrorMessage)
at ScreenConnect.Extensions.AssertNonNull[T](T obj)
at ScreenConnect.DbExtensions.GetOpenConnection(String connectionStringName)
at ScreenConnect.SessionDatabaseManager..ctor()
at ScreenConnect.SessionManager..ctor()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.CreateImplementation(Type serviceType)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.SetupSingleton(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, Object implementation, Boolean isWellKnown)
at System.ServiceModel.Description.ServiceDescription.GetService(Type serviceType)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.CreateDescription(IDictionary`2&amp; implementedContracts)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.InitializeDescription(UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.InitializeDescription(Type serviceType, UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses)
at ScreenConnect.ServiceHostWrapper`1..ctor()
at ScreenConnect.SessionManagerServiceHostWrapper..ctor()
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean&amp; canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal&amp; ctor, Boolean&amp; bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainRootObjectConfigurationService.CreateAppDomainServiceRoot()
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainServiceBase.StartServiceInternal()
at ScreenConnect.AppDomainConfigurationService.StartServiceInternal()
at ScreenConnect.ServiceBaseEx.StartService()</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I have no idea what it is getting hung up and have no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:21:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added complete event

Jake  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:19:58 AM(UTC)
Jake

What else is below in that error stack trace?
ScreenConnect Team
Jake  
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:47:42 PM(UTC)
Jake

This:

Code:
<add name="SiteSqlServer" ...

Needs to be this:

Code:
<add name="SessionDatabase" ...

We can't find the connection string unless it's named SessionDatabase.
ScreenConnect Team
thanks 1 user thanked Jake for this useful post.
Jareds on 6/18/2015(UTC)
Jareds  
#25 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:23:42 PM(UTC)
Jareds

United States

This:

Code:

Needs to be this:

Code:

Well now I feel silly, that is all it took and now I am just working on importing the old data. Thanks!
KPoz  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 11:54:57 AM(UTC)
KPoz

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

United States

Originally Posted by: Jareds Go to Quoted Post
This:

Code:

Needs to be this:

Code:

Well now I feel silly, that is all it took and now I am just working on importing the old data. Thanks!

Were you ever able to successfully import the data? Im having some trouble and would like to know the process you used. Thanks.

obrienmd  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:22:54 AM(UTC)
obrienmd

Medals: ScreenConnect Advisor: Focus Group Member

United States

Originally Posted by: KPoz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jareds Go to Quoted Post
This:

Code:

Needs to be this:

Code:

Were you ever able to successfully import the data? Im having some trouble and would like to know the process you used. Thanks.

Agreed - I've been able to build a new DB on SQL Server, but the endian-ness of GUIDs is apparently causing a problem when I try to import the .sql file, and I'm missing all sessions that didn't reconnect as I could not import those from my old SQLite database.
itinfserv  
#28 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 9:18:18 AM(UTC)
itinfserv

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have a guide for this? When trying to do this on Friday the services just wouldn't start

Default:
Code:
<system.data>
  <DbProviderFactories>
   <add name="SQLite" invariant="SQLite" description="SQLite" type="ScreenConnect.SQLite.SQLiteFactory, ScreenConnect.Server" />
  </DbProviderFactories>
 </system.data>
 <connectionStrings>
  <add name="SessionDatabase" providerName="SQLite" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|/Session.db; DateTimeKind=Utc; Foreign Keys=true; Page Size=4096; Cache Size=100000; Journal Mode=WAL" />
 </connectionStrings>

Changed to:
Code:
<system.data>
  <DbProviderFactories>
   <add name="SQLite" invariant="SQLite" description="SQLite" type="ScreenConnect.SQLite.SQLiteFactory, ScreenConnect.Server" />
  </DbProviderFactories>
 </system.data>
 <connectionStrings>
   <add name="SessionDatabase" connectionString="Data Source=<hostname>;Initial Catalog=<database>;User Id=<username>;Password=<password>;Persist Security Info=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
 </connectionStrings>

The above changes is what I gather from this thread, as someone said you dont need to change the DbProviderFactories. Should the "Data Source" include the instance name? If not where should the instance name be place?
Alexander  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 3:55:37 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

I'm not sure what you mean by "instance name"; do you see any errors in the Event Viewer when you try to start the services?
ScreenConnect Team
itinfserv  
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:07:10 AM(UTC)
itinfserv

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I cant make changes again until Friday, but when you install MSSQL it will ask you to name the instance. It is what allows you to have multiple "copies" of SQL running.
https://technet.microsof...m/en-us/library/ms143744(v=sql.90).aspx
Alexander  
#31 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:15:28 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Man

Ah, OK. It looks like that should be in the Data Source, like Data Source=<hostname>\<instancename>.
ScreenConnect Team