logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
theninja  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:03:55 AM(UTC)
theninja

United States

Hey all,

I'm running ScreenConnect 5.3.9074.5646 on Ubuntu 14.04x64-server. This past week, I had some troubles connecting to my install and checked syslog, seeing a lot of messages like this:

Code:
May 11 02:40:00 localhost kernel: Killed process 4164 (mono) total-vm:4246836kB, anon-rss:1925720kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:4kB

There haven't been any changes to the system recently, is this a normal amount of memory for ScreenConnect to be consuming? How do I go about diagnosing high memory usage/what's going on? I upgraded to a larger VPS with 2GB of memory and a huge swap file, but hopefully I won't have to stay at that level. The kernel is killing the process less often, but still not stable.

Thanks!

Edited by user Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:04:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Senior Technician
Call the Ninja (calltheninja.com) in Eugene, OR
Scott  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:06:43 PM(UTC)
Scott

Medals: Level 4: Wise Old Owl! Received 100 Thanks!

United States

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 256 post(s)
The amount of memory mono "should" be using is hard to say, it depends upon what's happening on the server. How many Access sessions do you have? On average, how many concurrent sessions?

How large is the Session.db file? It can be found at /opt/screenconnect/App_Data by default.
ScreenConnect Team
franklinian  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:56:58 PM(UTC)
franklinian

United States

This same issue has just begun happening to me also. I have one server running Ubuntu 12.04 and one running Ubuntu 16.04 (I migrated my installation to see if the OS version was the problem).

mono starts tying up memory until the process is killed. The webui frontend and any open sessions freeze. I only have one session open at a time.

I have about 40 unattended clients, and the size of my Session.db is 51M.

Please advise. Thank you!

Edited by user Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:10:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

theninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:50:05 PM(UTC)
theninja

United States

I was able to fix this problem taking a number of steps, I'm not sure which of them resolved the issue:

1. Re-installing the same version of screenconnect, only maintaining the database of sessions and the web config
2. Upgrading the memory available on my server.

Once it was running stable again, I tried going back to my previous server's memory amount, increasing the swap, etc all to no avail. To me, this says there was some sort of runaway memory problem that only occurred if mono/screenconnect detected it was running out of memory. It seems odd, but it's a possible explanation. When it never got near that threshold, it wouldn't go around eating up all the memory.

Senior Technician
Call the Ninja (calltheninja.com) in Eugene, OR
franklinian  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:16:54 AM(UTC)
franklinian

United States

Originally Posted by: theninja Go to Quoted Post
I was able to fix this problem taking a number of steps, I'm not sure which of them resolved the issue:

1. Re-installing the same version of screenconnect, only maintaining the database of sessions and the web config
2. Upgrading the memory available on my server.

Once it was running stable again, I tried going back to my previous server's memory amount, increasing the swap, etc all to no avail. To me, this says there was some sort of runaway memory problem that only occurred if mono/screenconnect detected it was running out of memory. It seems odd, but it's a possible explanation. When it never got near that threshold, it wouldn't go around eating up all the memory.

Thank you Ninja. I tried adjusting memory/cpu resources also but found it would not make a difference.

I look forward to hearing what Scott has to say about this. I've been running rock solid for about two years on the same Ubuntu 12.04 server with no issues. I can't link the problem with my most recent upgrade to 5.6, though I might roll back to 5.4 if another answer isn't forthcoming.

thowden  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:26:37 AM(UTC)
thowden

Australia

Hi All

I am experiencing the same issue with my stable and unchanged system.

Debian version 7.11

ScreenConnect On Premise version 6.0.11622.6115 x 3 instances for 3 client companies with minimal licences and minimal access systems. largest is 3 users with 50 access systems. Other 2 instances are single user with 3 or 4 access systems.

Actions to date: Server reboot, connect session stop / start, increase RAM from 2G to 4G (remember that from our view nothing has changed so what has been working in 2G should now have plenty of space in 4G)

Recent changes have only been in adding additional access points.

I think the main instance is the issue but I'd really appreciate some feedback on what may be causing the issue and if there is a specific thing I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

franklinian  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:35:25 PM(UTC)
franklinian

United States

My issues have pretty much gone away since increasing server memory to 4GB and keeping Ubuntu updated. I have a long-range goal of migrating my instance to Windows 2012 since Screenconnect was written for and optimized for that environment.