logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OnSite  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 1:43:06 PM(UTC)
OnSite

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We're not part of the focus group, so all we've got to go by are the screenshots that have been posted. I have two comments I'd like to offer.

First, please ensure that the icons/buttons have optional text labels. We know how to read already. We learned it in grade school. Seeing a button that says "end" or "reinstall" or "connect" allows very, very rapid recognition of what does what. Learning the icon-of-the-month that modern UI design has started forcing on users doesn't allow that. We have to memorize new pictures that yes, resemble their functions, but still require interpretation. It's just a wasteful trend. I suspect it's part of the touch-screen trend to make things accessible on tablets, and it cuts down on localization/translation costs, but it lowers overall usability of software to be picture-only.

Second, please make sure we still have a theme/layout that retains high information density. Again, I recognize that on tablets things need to be spread out and massive because users have gigantic meaty fingers, but most of us are using computers with pixel-perfect pointers. Less scrolling is better. Less UI elements moving around flag-style is better. Use our screens to show data, not whitespace and pretty blocks of colors.

Thank you for your consideration as you design the new UI.
thanks 1 user thanked OnSite for this useful post.
joshgay on 7/13/2016(UTC)
ddre  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2016 11:42:53 PM(UTC)
ddre

Medals: Level 1: Random Act of Kindness! Received One Thanks!

Australia

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OnSite Go to Quoted Post
...not part of the focus group, so all we've got to go by are the screenshots that have been posted. I have two comments I'd like to offer.

First, please ensure that the icons/buttons have optional text labels. We know how to read already. We learned it in grade school. Seeing a button that says "end" or "reinstall" or "connect" allows very, very rapid recognition of what does what. Learning the icon-of-the-month that modern UI design has started forcing on users doesn't allow that. We have to memorize new pictures that yes, resemble their functions, but still require interpretation. It's just a wasteful trend. I suspect it's part of the touch-screen trend to make things accessible on tablets, and it cuts down on localization/translation costs, but it lowers overall usability of software to be picture-only.

Couldnt agree more, this new obsession with replacing easy to understand text labels with small, colourless, useless icons is out of control. MS are currently doing it with the Office 365 admin portal as are many others and its idiotic.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 28, 2016 11:44:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GieltjE  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:39:27 AM(UTC)
GieltjE

Medals: Bug Buster Level One: Spoon!

Netherlands

Let's not forget that the iconification trend started almost as soon as we could draw graphical interfaces and that icon's like the back and forth arrows in browsers and the floppy icon in nearly all programs are universally accepted (and in my view help interfaces be faster). When used properly (consistently, clear (simple) images a.k.a. proper design) they are very usable in speeding up the usage of a program (although most programs we deliver have icons + text to help the process of recognition and create easily locatable beacons).

My mayor issue with these icon's is that they are not clear enough to fulfill these requirements.